Pieniny is a small mountain range in southern Poland rising to about 1000m with picturesque Dunajec River Gorge in the middle. This is the landscape of ravines and gorges, limestone sheer rocks and pastures in the forests clearings. All of that plus a spa resort, two castles and historic wooden churches makes Pieniy a very attractive holiday destination.
The mountains look particular spectacular in the autumn when forests turn all shades of gold & red.
1. Dunajec River Gorge raft trip, 3 hour long trip down the winding river with spectacular views of cliffs and peaks of Pieniny including Trzy Korony (Three Crowns)
2. Hiking , numerous hiking trails such as climbing Trzy Korony or Wysoka or a walk along Dunajec River to Red Cloisters
3. Cycling along Dunajec river to Czerwony Klasztor (Red Monastery) , 9 km cycle on Droga Pieninska route along Dunajec River Gorge and a visit to 14th century monastery
4. Homole ravine, 1 hour walk, return by chairlift to Jaworki and visit to the Lemkow orthodox church in Jaworki
5. Medival castle in Nidzica, sightseeing combined with a boat trip on Jezioro Czorsztynskie
6. Ruins of the castle in Czorsztyn, sightseeing combined with a boat trip to the castle on the other side of Dunajec in Nidzica
7. Szczawnica, a charming town on the border with Slovakia has been a tourist and a health spa resort since the 19th century thanks to its location, climate and natural mineral waters. Its attractions include chairlift to Palenica mountain, mineral springs, wooden architecture from early 20th century. In the summer there are colourful planted sculptures of animals all over the town.
8. 15th century wooden church in Grywald
9. Winter sports & skiing ,with ski lifts and routes maintained to alpine standards in Szczawnica
Szczawnica makes a very good base for a holiday in Pieniny. This small mountain resort has a good choice of accommodation, restaurants and mountain-bike rental places.
Many walking and cycling routes start here or from nearby Kroscienko or Jaworki where you can easily get to by bus. In winter, ski & other winter sports equipment is widely available from many rental places.
Many travel companies, located on the high street in Szczawnica, organize day trips to most local attractions including places in nearby Slovakia.
The nearest airport is in Krakow. From Krakow there is a 2.5 hour coach journey to Szczawnica. The buses to Szczawnica depart from the bus station that is located next to the main railway station in Krakow.
Inlovewithpoland.com is your personally inspired guide to what to do in Poland and a travel information website. Whether it's exploring the cities in Poland such as Warsaw, Gdansk or Krakow or cheap Poland flights and Poland hotel deals, we have the best and personal recommendations on cheap beach holidays in Poland and Poland travel ideas.
Here at inlovewithpoland.com we're seriosuly in love with Poland, what to see & do in Poland and of course all things Polish! We hope that by reading through our site you'll fall in love with Poland as much as we have!